Sunday, October 27, 2013

Bunion Surgery-Bye, Bye Bunion!

After 11 years, I am finally having the bunion on my right foot, removed. (I am posting 3 days after the surgery, since I have been taking goofy medicine.) I have put this off for far too long. I dread not being able to drive for 6 weeks. 

I made a big life decision to not work this year, to gain back some sanity, so this time off is allowing me to have the surgery.

I started getting nervous one week before the surgery. I kept myself busy getting the family and home ready for my long recovery. I stocked the fridge and freezer with meals! I bought a shower seat at Walgreens. We have a small built in seat in our shower but it is crammed in a corner. The seat was about $25. http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/aquasense-adjustable-bath-and-shower-chair-with-non-slip-seat/ID=prod6099551-product I bought the Dry Pro Half-Leg Cast Cover for about $40. This keeps the water out with a great tight seal! (I had to buy an arm cover for my daughter's broken arm, this summer. She was even able to swim.)http://store.drycorp.com/v/vspfiles/photos/HL-15-2.jpg

About one month before my surgery, I had the doctor call in a prescription to a local medical supply company for a knee scooter. My insurance is covering the weekly/monthly rental fee + the crutches.http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=knee+scooter+rental&FORM=HDRSC2#view=detail&id=15ED97FB0E25F482137C83E8E39809F13F738D38&selectedIndex=2

I had the lapidus bunionectomy performed by Dr. Bierman at the Covington Foot and Ankle Clinic in the Multicare building. He is a very informative doctor that came highly recommended.

Remember to stop taking Ibuprofen, or the like, 2 weeks before your surgery. This med is a blood thinner. You can take Tylenol.


No comments: